We all want to lead a good life with good choices. But with so many choices and deals available, its hard to make a decision. That’s why we end up buying loads and then wearing a few! I am sure many of us have faced this- we just bought some clothes at great deals, yet we stand baffled in front of the wardrobe , “What to wear?” The wardrobe seems a warzone then, none of the pieces good enough to fit the occasion.
Why does this happen?
What does Sustainable mean?
Why do we need to be Sustainable?
- The fashion industry is one of the major polluting industries in the world.
- Invited by the deals and sales, We now buy cheap polyester clothes which finally ends up in the landfills
- Compared to the huge amount of clothes we buy, hardly a part of it get recycled
- The amount of carbon emitted by the fashion industry is more than what contributed by the international flights. The mindless buying that we do online, we see the “ easy returns” and leave behind so much of carbon footprints. The more we buy fast fashion , the worse we are making the world for our little ones
How can we be sustainable? That too in a budget
- Choose a sustainable style – We always love playing up our looks in different styles, colors and fabrics. Each style brings out our own personality and thinking. And why not? It’s well said- We are what we wear. So some like formal, some casual whereas some prefer to bring out their boohoo lifestyle. So, next time you select your merchandise, think twice if it truly reflects your personality. And if it does, how you can combine it with different onsomes to create a different look each time. For a detailed guide to kids sustainable looks you can refer our style guides.
- You can still buy pocket friendly products—Sustainable products don’t always come for a big price. Especially when you think of their end uses. Think about our parents. We have always grown up wearing pre-loved clothes of our elder brothers and sisters. So buy more of gender-neutral clothes which you can pass on from your daughter to your younger son and vice versa. And when we talk about so much of girl power and gender equality , we can express that personality in style! Refer to our style guides for creating the different looks
- Ask-What are my clothes made of? — When u buy cheap quality clothes remember you have to buy again after a few days . Cheap polyester fabrics/ synthetic fabrics cost less but you have to pay the price in forms of discomfort and body rashes especially when kids are concerned. Also on washing synthetic fabrics, they release micro plastic filaments which finally clog the drains. Though not visible, but mass use of these fabrics create a devastating impact. Go for natural fabrics and you feel the change. Clothes are your second skin. And your second skin should be the natural true you. Following are the natural fabrics
- Out of these Cotton, Linen , Hemp being the most breathable for kids and suited for tropical weather.
- Ask-Who made your clothes and how—A lot goes into the making of a garment. Starting from cultivation to production of the yarn, fabric making, dyeing and finally printing garmenting and packaging. Such a huge process and so many ethical decisions involved or “not involved’ here! We have heard shocking incidents about factories set up in dangerous buildings leading to severe loss of lives, and such poor work environment are done to shrink the product cost to minimal. Refer the case of The Rana Plaza disaster-https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_Dhaka_garment_factory_collapse. Choose brands who pay fair prices for their products. That ways together we can encourage and develop an environment of co-existence.
- Do mindful buying – garments that can be styled differently.
- Choose natural fabrics. Organic cotton is best but always not the ultimate necessity. You can buy gender neutral cotton clothes that can be passed over to siblings.
- Recycle, reuse and remake – once you no longer need to wear the garment either donate it or get creative with our diy ways (Our Pinterest Page).
- Choose brands which follow ethical employee policies and pay fair wages
-Don’t accept products with plastic packaging
- While buying online, please order after seeing the size chart ,( if not given you can always ask the seller for Chest and height measurements) returns are easy but not easy on the environment
Lets fashion our future to a beautiful world of mindful thinking. Afterall our earth is our biggest runway! Lets handle it with care.